Ethereum founder Vitalik Buterin during TechCrunch Disrupt London on December 8, 2015 in London, England.
Photo by John Phillips / Getty Images for TechCrunch
- Ethereum founder Vitalik Buterin opened up to his followers via a Twitter Q&A this week and joked with Tesla boss Elon Musk.
- He answered questions about love, remorse, Dogecoin and where Ethereum and crypto in general are headed.
- The Ethereum network’s ether token has significantly outperformed larger crypto rival Bitcoin this year.
- Sign up for our daily newsletter here, 10 things before the opening bell.
Vitalik Buterin, one of the co-founders of the Ethereum network, took part in a question-and-answer session on Twitter this week discussing the outlook for the Ether token, the use of the network code, the downsides of fame and what are his greatest regrets.
Buterin is used to being in the spotlight in the crypto world. He recently appeared on a crypto-based show called Stoner Cats and regularly discusses the market.
The Ether token of the Ethereum network was one of the biggest outperformers in the crypto space this year and has so far gained more than 400%, compared to an increase of 72% for Bitcoin. Buterin’s Q&A followed London’s recent hard fork upgrade to the Ethereum network in August, which put Ether on a course that hit a four-month high this week.
In Wednesday’s Twitter session, Buterin spoke about love, regret, Dogecoin and where Ethereum and crypto in general are headed.
Here are the 10 best quotes, edited slightly for clarity:
- “I hope so! Although I think moving from crypto to Proof of Stake in general will only be a small part of the solution; ultimately we also need a lot of very smart people to contribute to longer term solutions (solar power? fusion? carbon capture? throwing dust into the atmosphere?), “he said, answering whether Ethereum is part of solving climate change problems.
- “Ethereum will move to Proof of Stake (PoS) within a year or two,” he said in response to “What is something you had insane confidence in only to find out you were absolutely wrong?” .
- “Account abstraction, statelessness, sharding,” he said, then replied, “What protocol upgrades do you think would be a high priority for the merge on the mainnet?”
- 10. “X AE A-12 doesn’t hurt me,” he said, referring to Elon Musk’s youngest child in a piece about the lyrics of a 1990s pop hit after the Tesla boss asked him, “What is love? ” and posted a photo of his son.
- “The whole thing with the” 8 co-founders “(and their selection so quickly and indiscriminately),” he replied when asked what he regretted most on Ethereum’s journey.
- “I hope that Doge can switch to PoS soon, maybe with Ethereum code,” he said in response to the question about the ‘cooperation’ between Ethereum and Dogecoin.
- “Ten years ago I thought that the resource, property and trade market were the most important processes in the world. Today I think a lot more about the ecosystem of discussing and spreading memes / culture / ideas. The latter follows laws quite differently from the former, “he said in response to” What’s the last thing you changed your mind about? “
- “The path I’m trying right now is basically hoping that the transition to crypto is a change of context big enough that some of the usual resistance to new ideas goes away and we can add better mechanisms,” said he answered the question “a lot of people”. including you can understand that many of our institutions are broken and how to outline better alternatives. But where is the audience or customers who want to buy and use this product? ‘
- “I intend to wear a mask for a long time after Covid is no longer a problem. There are definitely disadvantages,” said Vitalik when asked whether he would like to be famous or rather be less known.
- “Monkeys,” he said, posting a photo of a monkey after being asked, ‘Cats or dogs?’
Vitalik Buterin Twitter